- Modified Bitumen Roofing Systems are created when a polymer is added to asphalt to extend temperature limits and increase the pliability of asphalt.
- There are two kinds of Modified Bitumen
- Styrene Butadiene Styrene (SBS) – this type of modified bitumen roof is installed using cold adhesive or hot moppings of asphalt and can come with adhesive backing. Modified bitumen SBS has a rubber-like appearance.
- Atactic Polypropylene (APP) – is a thermoplastic polymer that is either heat-welded or torch-applied and gives asphalt a plastic-like quality.
- Both types of Modified Bitumen roofing can withstand both high and low temperatures due to polymer modification.