- Built-Up Roofing (BUR) is one of the oldest and most durable systems available.
- Its multiple layers provide extra protection and perform well in extreme weather conditions.
- Built-Up Roofing Systems consist of three components:
- Bitumen (asphalt or coal tars) provides the water proofing and adhesion.
- Reinforcement with Ply Sheets (felts) provides tear strength, puncture resistance, multiple layers of waterproofing, span caps in the substrate and improve fire ratings.
- Layers or plies of roofing felts are laid between asphalt or bitumen. The surface of the roof can have a gravel application, or a mineral cap sheet.